Food Safety Level 1
Introduces employees or prospective employees to the basics of Food Safety.
It will provide information on how to handle and prepare food in a safe hygienic manner and also provide participates with a basic understanding of the rules of HACCP. The course is in line with the Food Safety Authority of Ireland’s Guide to Food Safety Training and covers the 20 basic skills as laid out by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI).
On completion of this food safety training course, participants will be able to understand their requirements under Irish food safety legislation as well as following best work practices. Completing Level 1 in Food Safety Training is a good way to start a career in the food industry. It provides the learner with will the skills, knowledge and training to utilise correct food hygiene practices and work in a confident and safe manner.
Having employees who hold a Food Safety certificate will ensure they are aware of their responsibilities and compliance with Irish and EU legislation.
Who is this training course intended for?
The course has been developed for anyone who is beginning as a food worker or is involved in a food environment including growing and distribution. Employees wishing to continue their professional development can continue on to a Level 2 Food Safety course.
The legislation required that all staff are trained and supervised in Food Safety and hygiene training equivalent to the level of risk associated with the food handling task being carried out. All staff working at any level of food service or handling must be trained to comply with legislation and to ensure best practice within your business.
By the end of the course learners will:
- Know the law regarding food hygiene, and how employers and employees can comply.
- Understand the importance of food hygiene, and recognise the types of health issues poor food hygiene can cause.
- Be competent in identifying the various types of food safety hazards, and how to avoid putting food at risk.
- Be able to maintain good standards of personal hygiene in order to avoid contaminating food.
- Understand the importance of thorough cleaning and proper waste management and know how to carry out effective cleaning activities.
- Understand and respond to any signs of pest infestation
- Learn the core principles of HACCP
Unit 1. Introduction to Food Safety & Legislation
- Food Safety law
- Duties of employers
- Duties of employees
Unit 2. Food Hazards, Contamination and Controls
- What contamination is and food safety hazards
- The four categories of food contamination
- Ways to deal with and prevent contamination
- Learn about cross contamination and the ways in which cross contamination can be controlled
Unit 3. Food Poisoning
- How Food Poisoning occurs
- Causes of Food Borne Illness
- Symptoms of Food Poisoning
- Controls to Prevent Food Poisoning
- Legal Responsibilities for all Food Workers
Unit 4. Personal Hygiene
- Personal Hygiene
- Unhygienic Practices
- Dangers of Poor Hygiene Practices
- Protective Clothing (PPE)
- Staff facilities
- First aid & Accidents
- Fitness to work regulations
Unit 5. Controls in Food Handling
- Safe Steps – why bother?
- Food Safety Signage
- Controls for Safe Food Preparation
- Controls for Safe Food Deliveries
- Controls for Safe Food Storage
Unit 6. Cleaning & Disinfecting
- The Food Premises
- Cleaning & Disinfecting
- Good Cleaning Practice
- Cleaning Chemicals
- Safe Disposal of Waste
Unit 7. Pest Control
- Pest Control
- Pest Hazards
- Preventing food infestation
- Pest Control Measures
Unit 8. HACCP
- HACCP definition
- The Seven Principles of HACCP
- The HACCP Model
- The Four Steps to Implementing Controls
Course Delivery Method
This course is delivered online through Skills Team Online Learning Portal that can be used on any device – desktop, mobile or tablet – whenever and wherever you wish. You do not have to complete the course in one sitting and can pause, and come back to the course content at a later stage, as you see fit.
At the end of the course learners are required to complete a multiple choice exam, you will need to reach a mark of 80% or more to receive a certificate of completion. The certificate is valid for 2 years